In a post on Twitter, the FO spokesperson said that all Pakistani staff were safe, however, added that “one policeman and two applicants are reportedly wounded. We are in contact with Afghan authorities to ensure strengthened security for Consulate General’s premises and personnel.” The consulate had been shut down in August last year, before resuming operations two months later. Pakistan had cited ‘undue interference’ by the governor of Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province in its working and other security concerns as the reasons for the consulate’s closure. The Foreign Office had said that the consulate is resuming its visa operations “after assurances by the Afghan government that all necessary and required security will be provided to the Consulate Generals.”
If India attacked and “should the time come, the people stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the Army”, he noted, calling out India on its aggression and violence in Kashmir, the Muslim-majority Himalayan region that has been under a complete media and communication blackout for the past three weeks after New Delhi scrapped Article 370. “An attack on Azad [Jammu and] Kashmir would be perceived as a war breaking out” between the two neighbouring South Asian nations and Pakistan would give a befitting response to India,” the minister added. Pakistan the only country, Rasheed added, that has the largest number of youth as a proportion of the total population. “They — 250 Indian Muslims and 220 million Pakistani Muslims — should pledge to me to make Pakistan,” he said.
Addressing a press conference in Lahore on Saturday, Awan rejected rumours that Pakistan had stalled work on the Kartarpur Corridor, after the country’s relations with India strained in the aftermath of the Modi government’s decision to end the special status of occupied Kashmir. She clarified that irrespective of the ties between the two countries, Pakistan’s doors will remain open to Sikh pilgrims visiting Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in connection with the 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak, and other religious sites. The historic corridor will be inaugurated in November this year, she added. Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Narowal district of Pakistan’s Punjab province holds religious significance for the Sikh community. It is where Baba Guru Nanak settled down after his travels as a missionary. He lived there for 18 years until his death in 1539.
According to a notification issued by the provincial home department, a ban has also been placed on public display of weapons and gathering of five or more people apart from Muharram’s procession.
“The ban shall not be applicable to women, children below the age of 12 years, senior citizens, journalists, personnel of law enforcement agencies and security agencies in uniform and employees of the essential services,” read the statement.Last year in September, the Sindh government had banned pillion-ridding across the province for three days as part of its measures to provide foolproof security to Muharram processions and gatherings. According to a notification put out by the provincial home department, a ban had also been placed on public display of weapons and the use of loudspeakers without permission.
Israel’s military rarely acknowledges operations in Syria, but it claimed on Saturday its strikes had prevented an attack on Israel “using killer drones”. PM Benjamin Netanyahu hailed his military’s “major operational effort”. Israel is believed to have carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria since civil war broke out there in 2011, to try to prevent Iran gaining a foothold. An Israeli military spokesman said the strikes on Saturday targeted Iran’s Quds force in Aqraba, south-east of the capital, Damascus. A Syrian military source quoted by the official Sana news agency said that Syrian anti-aircraft defences “detected enemy targets from Golan heading towards the area around Damascus”. “The aggression was immediately confronted and so far the majority of the enemy Israeli missiles have been destroyed before reaching their targets,” the source said. In a tweet, Mr Netanyahu said: “I reiterate: Iran has no immunity anywhere. Our forces operate in every sector against the Iranian aggression. ‘If someone rises up to kill you, kill him first.'”
Images show several other officers also pointed guns at protesters who were chasing them with sticks and poles. In another first, police deployed water cannon against protesters earlier in the day. The protests began in the city’s Tsuen Wan district and have since spread to the district of Tsim Sha Tsui. Demonstrations were sparked by an extradition bill but have since morphed into broader anti-government protests, and developments on Sunday mark a serious escalation in the unrest. Police told local media that the gunshot was fired as a warning to protesters, and that several officers had been taken to hospital as a result of the clashes. But police Superintendent Leung Kwok-wing did not say where the shot was aimed. Police also fired rubber bullets and tear gas, and used two water cannon vehicles to clear barricades and disperse crowds. Images on social media show the vehicles being driven through the streets of Tsuen Wan, where a group of demonstrators had set up roadblocks and dug up bricks from the pavement.
In an open letter to the people of occupied Kashmir — which is dated August 23 but surfaced on Sunday — Geelani detailed and condemned recent events, which includes stripping the occupied territory of its special status and a continued communications blackout and lockdown that has been in place in the region for the past three weeks.
Following are the five points listed by Geelani in his letter:
The country has been battered by heavy rains since early July, affecting almost 200,000 people across 15 states. White Nile state in the south of the country has been hit hardest.The UN said that more than 37,000 homes have been destroyed or damaged while more flashfloods are expected.The rainy season continues until the end of October.
Roger Federer and Serena Williams will be again chasing records at the final Grand Slam tournament of the year. Swiss great Federer, 38, is seeking a record sixth men’s US Open singles title that would also make him the oldest men’s Grand Slam singles champion in the Open era. Meanwhile, 37-year-old American Williams – whose defeat by Osaka in last year’s final was marred by her angry outbursts at the umpire – is hoping to equal the all-time record of 24 Grand Slam singles titles. The tournament at Flushing Meadows, where singles winners take home $3,850,000 (£3.17m), features day and night sessions (16:00 BST and 00:00 BST) for most of the rounds.
Just as he dragged England through the super over against New Zealand, Stokes played one of the most incredible Test innings by an Englishman to level the series at 1-1. In the chase of an England record 359 at a delirious Headingley, the home side still needed 73 when Stokes was joined by last man Jack Leach. Like he did in his innings six weeks ago to the day at Lord’s, Stokes launched a stunning solo assault. He planted off-spinner Nathan Lyon for three sixes and followed that up by hitting Josh Hazlewood for four, six and six in three consecutive balls, during which point he passed 100. With 17 needed to win, Stokes was dropped by a diving Marcus Harris. From the next over, with only two needed, Leach should have been run out, only for Lyon to fumble the ball and, from the very next delivery, Stokes could have been lbw, but Australia were out of reviews.
On landmark day for Silva, making his 400th appearance for City, he again demonstrated his enduring quality as the champions moved up to second in the Premier League, two points behind leaders Liverpool. The 33-year-old began the move for Sergio Aguero’s opener and then provided assists for Raheem Sterling and Aguero to add to the Blues’ tally. “He played incredibly well. David in this kind of game – with a defence so deep and with such few spaces – is so good,” Guardiola said. “He’s one of the best players I’ve ever seen.” Despite an occasional defensive lapse, it proved a largely comfortable afternoon City who quickly established control and went in front when Argentina forward Aguero turned Kevin de Bruyne’s cross into the bottom left corner from eight yards.
The equipment, similar to CT scanners used in hospitals, is already being installed at London’s Heathrow Airport. It provides a clearer picture of a bag’s contents, which staff can zoom in to and rotate for inspection. Currently, passengers taking liquid in their cabin baggage are restricted to containers holding no more than 100ml, which must be shown to security staff in a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag of about 20cm (8in) x 20cm.Announcing the new plans, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the scanners would cut down on “hassle” for travellers and improve security. “By making journeys through UK airports easier than ever, this new equipment will help boost the vital role our airports play in securing the UK’s position as a global hub for trade, tourism and investment,” he added.
Disney’s upcoming Disney+ streaming service is shaping up to be quite the deal. According to CNET, the service will launch on November 12th with support for four simultaneous streams and 4K included, all for the base price of $6.99 a month. Subscribers will also be able to create and manage up to seven profiles on a single account.Notably, Disney’s ESPN and Hulu bundle for Disney+ won’t have the same simultaneous streaming benefits. With the bundle, which will cost $12.99, subscribers will only get two simultaneous ESPN+ streams and one basic, ad-supported Hulu stream
The automaker says it will provide “3,700 mobility products and/or vehicles” for the Olympics, 90 percent of which will be “electrified.” That can mean either battery-electric, hydrogen-powered, or even gas-electric hybrid. Of the 3,700 vehicles, 850 will be battery-electric and 500 will be fuel-cell electric. The vehicles come in all shapes and sizes: cars, buses, shuttles, scooters, mopeds… you name it. Toyota sees the Olympics as its big chance to showcase its lineup of experimental and alternative fuel-powered machines, and it’s not going to squander it. In addition, Toyota plans on rolling out two of its previously unveiled (and weirder-looking) concept vehicles: the e-Palette and the Concept-i. When it was revealed at CES in 2018, I described the e-Palettes as “weird, see-through self-driving boxes roaming through cities, delivering people, packages, and pizza.”
Netflix teased fans with a trailer for the film and tweeted it will be on the streaming service on 11 October.We still don’t know if Bryan Cranston, who played Walter White, will return to star in the film. Earlier this week Bob Odenkirk, who plays lawyer Saul Goodman in the series, revealed the whole movie had already been shot. Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, he says he’s surprised the “secret” never got out. But now fans know a little bit more about about it. According to Netflix, El Camino will see Jesse escape from captivity and “come to terms with his past in order to forge some kind of future”.
After launching Sunday, the organization’s emergency Amazon Forest Fund is working to support local partners and indigenous communities in their efforts to protect the sensitive habitats within the Amazon. The funds will be donated to five local organizations: Instituto Associacao Floresta Protegida (Kayapo), Coordination of the Indigenous Organizations of the Brazilian Amazon (COIAB), Instituto Kabu (Kayapo), Instituto Raoni (Kayapo) and Instituto Socioambiental (ISA). According to the fund’s website, more than 72,000 fires have been reported by Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research (INPE) — a stark increase from last year’s 40,000 fires, which can largely be attributed to an unprecedented surge in deforestation by cattle operations and feed crops.
The fires have also sparked widespread outrage online, prompting a number of celebrities to use their social media platforms to raise awareness. “The largest rainforest in the world is a critical piece of the global climate solution,” DiCaprio said in an Instagram post. “Without the Amazon, we cannot keep the Earth’s warming in check.” Founded in July by DiCaprio, Laurene Powell Jobs and Brian Sheth, Earth Alliance is a climate change organization led by an independent management team of scientists and conservationists, working to protect ecosystems and wildlife, ensure climate justice, support renewable energy and secure indigenous rights.
According to documents obtained by The Blast, her lawyers are asking the judge in her conservatorship to seal all information about to be shared with the court. As we reported, an evaluator has been assigned to Britney’s case to assess if she’s being properly medically treated and if her father is right person to be her conservatorship. This person will also determine if the current custody of situation is good for her and her kids.The documents say, “there is no legitimate reason for the public to have access to any information about (Britney’s) personal or medical information. Such information would undoubtedly fuel widespread publicity and the ability to obtain access to he or her children, as evidenced by the publicity surrounding this conservatorship since its inception and numerous instances of harassment.” They continue, “release of this information would bring, “unprecedented media attention…and would be widely disseminated if filed publicly and put (Britney) and her children at risk.” Her team believes that the release of private information about the pop star could actually fuel people to try and get closer to Britney.