While dismissing the reference, the five-member SJC headed by Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa declared in its judgement that the council — due to multiple factors — did not find the matter of Justice Isa writing letters to the president “serious or grave enough to constitute misconduct sufficient for his [Justice Isa’s] removal from the exalted office of a judge of the Supreme Court”. A reference had been instituted in May this year against Justice Isa, accusing the judge of concealing his properties in the United Kingdom allegedly held in the name of his wife and children. After news of the reference hit TV screens, the judge wrote multiple letters to President Alvi, asking him to confirm whether the reports were true. The judge had complained that selective leaks of the reference to the media amounted to his character assassination, thus jeopardising his right to due process and fair trial. He had also sought a copy of the reference.
While the nature of the fire is not clear as yet, a police officer told DawnNewsTV on condition of anonymity that some miscreants had apparently set the furniture and books in the school on fire. The incident comes a year after 14 schools, several of them girls-only institutions, in Diamer district were torched in a single night by miscreants. A local journalist said that the school where the fire occurred over the weekend was one of those 14 schools. Police officials said they could not find any clue or indication of a short circuit or some other accident having caused the fire. However, an inquiry was launched to ascertain the cause of the blaze. Meraj, the chairman of a local schools committee, approached police to file a case against the inferno, however, no case had been filed till Monday evening.
PDMA Punjab on Monday issued a flood alert due to rising water levels in River Sutlej after India released water into the river. Additionally, the PDMA KP director general on Sunday said that India had opened the outlets of Alchi dam “without preschedule” which, he said could lead to a flooding situation in River Indus. According to the PDMA Punjab, flood water between the range of 125,000 and 175,000 cusecs is expected to reach Ganda Singh Wala at 11am today. A dispatch has been issued to the relevant agencies asking them to ensure that all protective measures are taken. The disaster management authority said that the flood alert had been issued in order to avoid the loss of lives and properties. The Pakistan Meteorological Department (Met) has also issued a flood/weather advisory. According to the department, “very heavy to extremely heavy rainfall has been observed over the upper and lower catchments of Rivers Sutlej, Beas and Ravi during the last 72 hours”.
Jamiat Ulema Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) Chief Maulana Fazlur Rahman said it was agreed in the APC held earlier today that all Opposition leaders would travel to Islamabad together. The Opposition’s Rahbar Committee, he added, would send a charter of demands in a week so as to have a list on which everyone agreed upon. The JUI-F chief further said there would be a meeting of the Rahbar Committee on August 26 as well. The Opposition was starting to move against the government starting today, Fazl noted, adding a request to the nation to support them. “People will come to our lockdown, no one can remove them; our people will not come to enjoy and will bear every challenge.” Earlier in the day, the Opposition parties held an APC to deliberate on the situation in Indian occupied Kashmir and the country’s political situation. The meeting was chaired Fazl and attended by top leaders from the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and the Pakistan Musliim League-Nawaz (PML-N). Opposition leader in the National Assembly, Shehbaz Sharif, and PPP Chairperson Bilawal Bhutto Zardari were unable to attend the meeting. However, Bilawal and the JUI-F chief met last night to discuss the agenda of the APC.
Evelyn Hernández had always maintained she was innocent, saying that she did not know she was pregnant and lost consciousness during the birth. Prosecutors had asked for a prison sentence of 40 years. Her case has been closely watched in El Salvador and abroad with women’s rights activists calling for her acquittal. El Salvador has one of the strictest anti-abortion laws in the world. Abortion is illegal in all circumstances and those found guilty face between two and eight years in jail.But in many cases, including the one against Ms Hernández, the charge is changed to one of aggravated homicide, which carries a minimum sentence of 30 years. “Thank God, justice has been done,” she said as she stood on the steps outside the court house, free after 33 “hard” months behind bars. “My future is to continue studying and to move forward with my goals. I am happy,” she said, according to AFP news agency.
Daniel Pantaleo was sacked over the death of Eric Garner, whose dying words “I can’t breathe” became a rallying cry for protests against police brutality. A state grand jury declined to press criminal charges. After a lengthy civil rights investigation, federal prosecutors said last month they would bring no charges. The decision, based on the recommendation of a police department disciplinary judge, was announced by New York Police Commissioner James O’Neill on Monday. Mr Pantaleo was suspended while awaiting the commissioner’s decision. In explaining his decision, Mr O’Neill said mobile phone video of Garner’s death clearly shows the officer used a chokehold, which is banned by the New York Police Department (NYPD).\
In a TV interview, Mirwais Elmi said his bride survived but his brother and other relatives were among the 63 people killed in Saturday’s attack. The Islamic State (IS) group has admitted carrying out the bombing, which also wounded more than 180. President Ashraf Ghani described the attack as “barbaric”. He blamed the Taliban for “providing a platform to terrorists” and postponed major celebrations on Monday marking the centenary of Afghanistan’s independence from British influence. Independence Day celebrations were marred further after 10 co-ordinated blasts left more than 90 people injured in and around Jalalabad city in eastern Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombings, which targeted public squares and restaurants, but both IS and the Taliban are active in the area.
“The US president conveyed the importance of reducing tensions between India and Pakistan and maintaining peace in the region,” White House spokesperson Hogan Gidley said in a statement on Trump’s call with Modi.”The two leaders [Trump and Modi] further discussed how they will continue to strengthen US-India economic ties through increased trade, and they look forward to meeting again soon.” Later in the day, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said at a press conference that US President Trump made a call to Prime Minister Imran Khan today after his talk with Modi and discussed prevailing situation in occupied Kashmir. Qureshi, in a press briefing in Islamabad on Monday, said Trump called Modi after his talk with Prime Minister Imran on Aug 16, in which the premier had taken the US leader into confidence prior to the United Nations Security Council meeting on occupied Kashmir. Trump in the call today expressed desire in lowering tensions between Pakistan and India, said Qureshi.
Smith was hit in the neck by a 92mph bouncer from Jofra Archer on day three but passed an initial concussion test and returned to continue his innings. However, a subsequent test revealed concussion and he missed the final day. “You need to take an ‘if in doubt’ approach,” Headway deputy chief executive Luke Griggs said. “All that time while he was out there, there has been all this brain activity and a concussion going on and it is exactly why he should have rested in that time and not put himself back in immediate danger. “You have to be over-cautious when it comes to any type of concussion. “The reaction time of a batsman facing a 90mph-plus delivery is incredibly small and yet it is absolutely vital they are fully concentrated. “With concussion, the vision can be blurred and the brain can be slow at processing information. That leads to delayed reaction times and is just incredibly dangerous.”
Bayern will also pay Coutinho’s wages for the duration of the loan spell. “In Barcelona a lot of things did not turn out as we had imagined,” he said at his official presentation in Munich. “But this is now history. I hope to stay here a long time and win many titles.” He added: “The jersey of FC Bayern and the number 10 is a big responsibility. “It belonged to Robben, he was a great reference in football. I hope to be able to live up to expectations with good football on the pitch.” Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge added: “We have been working with Philippe Coutinho for some time and are very happy that we were able to realise this transfer now. “Our thanks to FC Barcelona for agreeing to this transfer. In Philippe, a player comes to FC Bayern who will strengthen our offense with his creativity and excellent technique.”
The 60-year-old Juventus coach spent Monday morning at the Italian club having missed a weekend friendly against Triestina because of what was initially thought to flu. After feeling unwell, further tests diagnosed pneumonia and Juve confirmed treatment had begun. Juventus visit Parma for their opening Serie A match on Saturday and it is not clear if Sarri will be in charge. The veteran Italian joined Chelsea from Napoli in July 2018 and won the Europa League with the west London club during his one season at Stamford Bridge.
The actor clapped back at a hater on social media who tried to call her out for not speaking up about Kashmir. The Twitter user did not refrain from using a harsh tone and comparing Mahira to Sonam Kapoor, who recently said she doesn’t know enough about the situation in Kashmir to comment on it.Except Mahira did talk about it.
And she made sure the hater knew it as she responded to the tweet, sharing the post she had made regarding the issue and calling the person out for not really checking her posts like he claimed to have done so.
The early 80s animated franchise started life as a Mattel toy range inspired by the success of the Star Wars action figures. It was later turned into a film starring Rocky actor Dolph Lundgren. Last year, Netflix premiered She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, a spin-off praised for its LGBT representation. “This is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!” Smith told the audience at the annual Power-Con convention in California at the weekend.The series premise revolved around the conflict between heroic He-Man aka “the most powerful man in the universe” and the evil sorcerer Skeletor on the planet Eternia, “I’m Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe,” Smith added. The new series, Masters of the Universe: Revelation, will apparently pick up where the original animated series left off and will use Japanese anime-style animation
The US singer performed a 24-song set complete with a neon limousine and a re-creation of The Last Supper. “Thank u for beyond magical opening night,” tweeted Grande afterwards. It was her first proper show on British soil since a bomb went off killing 22 people after her performance at the Manchester Arena in 2017. “London, I love u,” declared the 26-year-old online. “I’m soooo happy to be back!!!” she added. Her Sweetener world tour set drew largely on hits from the album of the same name – including God is a Woman and No Tears Left to Cry – as well as the night-closing title track from her most recent number one LP, Thank U, Next. The star was also joined by collaborators Social House for a rendition of her new song Boyfriend.
The extension, dated Thursday and first reported by Reuters on Friday, was announced by US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, even though US President Donald Trump suggested on Sunday that no such reprieve would be granted. Shares of US chip makers that sell to Huawei rose, including those of Qualcomm, Intel and Micron Technology.The 90-day extension “is intended to afford consumers across America the necessary time to transition away from Huawei equipment, given the persistent national security and foreign policy threat,” the department said in a statement. “As we continue to urge consumers to transition away from Huaweis products, we recognise that more time is necessary to prevent any disruption,” said Ross.
Google is giving informing the app developers about the new rules by saying that “To help better protect our users, we’ll take more time to thoroughly review your app.” While explaining the review process the Google support team told a developer;
“Unfortunately, there is no escalation path, and there is nothing that can be done to expedite the review process. I completely understand your frustration, and I would love to be able to help you get your app approved immediately, but there is nothing I or my team can do.” Developers might certainly do not like the longer review period, and the new rules make it harder for them to promote the exact launch date of a new app or an app update. But if it prevents malicious apps from getting installed from the Google Play Store, it will well be worth it from an Android user’s point of view.
Twitter said it removed 936 accounts it said were being used to “sow political discord in Hong Kong”. The network said the accounts originated in mainland China and were part of a coordinated attempt to undermine the “legitimacy and political positions of the protest movement”. Facebook said it had, after being tipped off by Twitter, removed “seven Pages, three Groups and five Facebook accounts.” “They frequently posted about local political news and issues including topics like the ongoing protests in Hong Kong,” said Nathaniel Gleicher, Facebook’s head of cybersecurity policy. “Although the people behind this activity attempted to conceal their identities, our investigation found links to individuals associated with the Chinese government.” In addition to the 936 specific accounts, Twitter said as many as 200,000 other accounts, designed to amplify the misinformation, were “proactively” suspended before becoming “substantially active”. “Based on our intensive investigations,” the firm said in a statement, “we have reliable evidence to support that this is a coordinated state-backed operation. “Specifically, we identified large clusters of accounts behaving in a coordinated manner to amplify messages related to the Hong Kong protests.”