The provincial minister said the present situation in the Keamari area did not merit an evacuation.
He noted that those sickened after breathing in the noxious substance were being treated at various hospitals in the metropolis.
Sindh Information Minister Nasir Hussain Shah also said, “An investigative team under commissioner Karachi has been constituted [to probe the matter],” he continued, “Till the committee presents its reports, it is impossible to say anything.”
No, the death toll from what was initially suspected to be a gas leak (an official statement has yet to be made) rose to 14 on Tuesday, with 25 more brought to the hospital on Wednesday morning.
The gas is clearly poisonous as it has taken the lives of many.
A day earlier, a Sindh health department spokesperson had said the lethal substance had not been identified yet. It had been earlier reported that authorities suspected it was hydrogen sulphide — a highly poisonous gas that is a byproduct of crude oil and also generated in the sewerage system.
However, the theory was dismissed by Dr Seemin Jamali, spokesperson of the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical College.
Dozens of sick are still being treated at various public and private hospitals in the city due to the incident, which is now being believed as the outcome of a soybean dust allergy. It clearly seems like the Sindh minister is in the blind if he thinks Keamari is not under threat.
To read more from ProperGaanda: PM Imran: People below poverty line to get cattle, rickshaws, agricultural goods