Fawad Chaudhary has been in the news for the past week, after going on a
press tour as the new Minster of Science and Technology.
However, most of the news coverage has been about his mistake
of claiming The Hubble, an American Telescope, was sent by SUPARCO, Pakistan’s
space program. Many news agencies, including us, have had a field day with this
faux-pas. However, Fawad Chaudhary has revealed a lot of information that has
been sidelined because of his mistake.
Here is all the important announcements Fawad Chaudhary has
made in the past week;
1. Pakistan plans to send its first astronaut to space in 2022. Many have seen this as a reaction to India making strides within space explorations.
2. August has been announced as the ‘month of Science and Technology’.
3. The Prime Minister Secretariat will be solar-powered now, continuing the shift towards a more sustainable energy source.
4. An international science conference will host by Pakistan
on 31st of August. No further details were made known about the event yet.
5. A five-year Islamic calendar will be prepared by 15th of
Ramadan to determine holy days falling in an Islamic year. The reasons for this
calendar will be to avoid confusion when observing religious holidays like Eid,
Ramadan, and others.
6. Three universities have been assigned the task to prepare
curriculum for science students of schools and colleges.
7. The government has plans of establishing the University of Emerging Sciences at Prime Minister House in Islamabad.
8. Media University will also be established, but this one
will be a department within the National University of Technology (NUTECH).