6 people died from rain-related events in Karachi on Friday, the fourth consecutive day of heavy downpour in the city.
Two of the victims were brothers, aged 11 and 14, who were electrocuted in their own home.
An Edhi Foundation spokesperson confirmed that accumulated rainwater had entered their house in Moosa Colony, Gulberg, which gave the boys an electric shock due to a loose electric wire in the water.
Another boy, aged 8, suffered a similar fate inside his home as well, in Hijrat Colony.
According to police and rescue officials, two men died when an electric wire fell down on moving motorbikes in SITE area.
“The victims were riding two separate motorbikes when an electricity wire fell down on them near a seminary in SITE,” said the SITE-A SHO.
On the same evening, two young boys drowned in Lyari river while playing. One was immediately rescued but the other could not be saved in time. The boy was identified as seven years old.
In a close call, a woman was saved from electrocution in Boat Basin, Karachi, thanks to civilians nearby. The video was uploaded online and has garnered much attention since then, as locals wonder in disbelief how the government could not take simple measures to ensure these incidents would not happen.
A Karachi Electric spokesperson came forward to urge citizens to stay away from open wires, pad-mounted transformers and electric poles.
He said that power had been disconnected in Korangi Crossing, Maripur, and some parts of Defence and Gulshan-i-Iqbal as “precautionary measures”. Bin Qasim, Baldia and Surjani Town are also experiencing power outages.