2018 is just around the corner, and we are so not ready for it. After all, 2017 was a year full of excitement, horror, and important milestones. As a nation, we have braved grievances and merriment, alike.
But before we delve into our new year resolutions, let us take a quick, bittersweet trip down memory lane, together.
1. The year began with the internet trolling a young student for making an innocent mistake during an interview.
“Bohat ziada maza aa raha hai. We are proud of you!”
2. Parachinar market blast in January shook the entire nation and took 25 lives.
Funeral of the bomb blast victims, Parachinar.
3. Member of the National Assembly, Naveed Qamar, sparked controversy upon spending lavishly on his daughter’s destination wedding in Thailand.
The Upscale Royal Wedding of Pakistan, Bangkok.
4. The suicide bombing of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar’s shrine, which claimed approximately 90 innocent lives.
Sehwan Sharif and the heart-wrenching aftermath.
5. An engineer from NUST, Osama Jafri, designed and introduced Pakistan’s first robot waitress.
There she is, serving at a pizzeria in Multan.
6. Burj Khalifa celebrated Pakistan’s Resolution Day and lit up in the colours of our national flag.
Burj Khalifa, Dubai.
7. Mashal Khan was killed mercilessly after being wrongly accused of blasphemy.
Mashal Khan, the humanist that was ruthlessly murdered.
8. Shan Foods unveiled a touching TV commercial, wherein a Chinese woman won hearts by cooking for her neighbours.
Biryani: connecting people better than Nokia ever could!
9. We failed to answer Sahir Lodhi’s questions from the press conference.
“Who are you? Are you playing God? What are you?”
He took it out on the woman whose poetry was terribly misunderstood!
That “apki-meri-jang-ho-jaegi-ruk-jaiye-yahan-pe” moment!
10. The shady churail of Hyderabad, who was suspiciously open to a photo shoot in the middle of the night.
The churail seeking publicity.
11. PIA pilot, Captain Amir Hashmi, abandoned the cockpit to take a ‘catnap.’
Captain Amir Hashmi clearly in the wrong seat.
12. The demise of Suzi, Lahore’s only elephant, was really unfortunate. She had a lifespan of only 36 years.
A child staring at the deceased Suzi.
13. Beating all the odds, it was Pakistan that won the title, and brought the ICC Champions Trophy home!
Green Shirts lifting the trophy after beating India in the final.
14. Internet-breaking photoshoot of our women’s cricket team in their brand new uniforms!
The 13 Reasons Why we love this photo from the shoot are pretty evident.
15. Farzana Jan became the first transgender person in Pakistan to hold a passport with a gender-neutral ‘X’ option.
Farzana Jan’s passport.
16. An oil tanker toppled over in Bahawalpur, and exploded. More than 150 people died in the incident.
The site of the oil tanker explosion, Bahawalpur.
17. The iconic double-decker buses in London were decorated and the theme was ‘Emerging Pakistan.‘
A bus covered in truck art, London.
18. A passenger made an unethical move by posting a photo of a PIA air hostess online.
Photo: Shama Janjua.
Turns out, PIA had better pictures to show us, and we loved them.
Disaster: managed. Well done, PIA.
19. Maryam Nawaz was accused of presenting forged documents, and suddenly Calibri became our favorite font!
Panama Case: Forensic Report, Conclusion (a).
Panama Case: Forensic Report, Conclusion (b).
20. One morning, we all woke up to this. Careem launched a Rishta Aunty Service.
Careem’s Rishta Aunty Service.
21. Ayesha Gulalai made allegations of harassment against Imran Khan.
Ayesha Gulalai next to Imran Khan.
22. Pakistan lost its very own Mother Teresa, Dr. Ruth Pfao.
The coffin of Dr. Ruth Pfao at her funeral ceremony.
23. Mahira Khan was spotted smoking a cigarette, and for some reason, this made big news.
Mahira Khan doing the deed.
24. The popular preacher, Nouman Ali Khan, was accused of ‘sexting’ his female colleagues and followers.
The indicted Nouman Ali Khan.
25. The Blue Whale suicide challenge made its way into Pakistan and started claiming victims.
Players are required to send photos as proof after completing tasks.
26. Malala Yousafzai was harassed for wearing jeans and boots. We thought her outfit was cute, though.
Malala at Oxford University.
27. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s tweet led to a doctor being fired from Aga Khan Hospital. This sparked a debate on what harassment is.
The Academy Award Winner, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.
28. Dina Wadia, the daughter of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, passed away at 98 years old.
Mrs. Dina Wadia, the last Jinnah.
29. Famous shoe designer Christian Louboutin visited Pakistan in April and fashioned new flats named after Lahore!
The Lahore-inspired Christian Louboutin flats.
30. Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah’s bust was sculpted and revealed at the British Museum in London.
Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, unveiling the bust of Quaid-e-Azam.
31. The popular clothing brand Generation took their branding campaign to a whole other level! The campaign, Shahnaz Ki Shaadi, revolves around breaking stereotypes. It also features transgender and plus-size women as models.
Generation, breaking the stereotypes.
32. TYLRA launched the Khatam-e-Nabuwat sit-in that lasted for two whole weeks and ended up provoking protests in the major cities.
Staunch protesters of Khatam-e-Nabuwat Dharna: Faizabad Interchange.
33.There was a crackdown on protests by the police and it wasn’t a pretty sight.
After crackdown: Faizabad Dharna.
34. 2017 was so hot for scandals that even Muniba Mazari got sucked in! Her former husband sued her for slandering him and blaming him for her condition.
Muniba Mazari denies these allegations
35. These female powerlifters made Pakistanis everywhere immensely proud by winning powerlifting championships internationally. Namely, the Oceania Classic Championships, and the Pacific Invitationals held in Singapore.
Faizan Lakhani’s tweet about Pakistan’s presence at the powerlifting championships.
36. And lastly, we present to you the most significant event of the year. It is definitely going down in history. Disqualification of the prime minister from office.
The Former Disqualified Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, in his kyun-nikaala feels and all.